[Discussion] Removing outdated features

Support area for phpBB's mChat extension

Which of these features should be removed or redesigned?

Auto-growing input field
24%
Status icons
14%
Update frequency (Updates every x seconds)
16%
Chat session ends in mm:ss
11%
Pause on input
14%
Number of characters when typing
8%
Multi-line text area
8%
None of them, don't change anything!
5%

Total votes: 37

EVO_VV

Re: [Discussion] Removing outdated features

Post by EVO_VV » 02 Mar 2018, 05:01

I would favour the 'Enter' always sends the message and the (Ctrl or Shift)+Enter always adds a new line.
Much simpler and as far as I know is what most of those input thingys do on other sites.

nou nou
Donor

Post by nou nou » 05 Mar 2018, 23:03

Thanks for all the info!

I would like to have it as an option in the UCP (Enter sends message/Enter creates newline) and definitely not have the behaviour change based on the number of lines. That would wreak havoc with my muscle memory... ;)

Speaking of options - I would love to be able to turn off ACP logging for mChat. My logs are 90% mchat edits and they are not terribly important - lots of clutter IMO...

Thanks!

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 31 Mar 2018, 14:47

Alright, I've made some progress. There will be an option to switch between the two Enter & Ctrl+Enter modes. It's not a UCP option though. :D More on that soon.
nou nou wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 23:03
Speaking of options - I would love to be able to turn off ACP logging for mChat. My logs are 90% mchat edits and they are not terribly important - lots of clutter IMO...
I like the idea! Ideally there would be a new log module in addition to the admin, mod, user and error log modules, but that's a whole project on its own and I don't have time for that. What you're suggesting is a good compromise and fairly simple to implement.

There's still some cleanup left to do but I will install a beta version here for testing very soon.

nou nou
Donor

Post by nou nou » 05 Apr 2018, 04:08

Great! Looking forward to it! :)

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 05 Apr 2018, 11:47

I have updated mChat on this board to my latest development status. Here's what's changed based on the poll options and voting results:
  1. Auto-growing input field has been removed entirely, it has a constant width now.
  2. Status icons have been removed and instead the small vertical bar on the left to the submit arrow is indicating mChat's status:
    • = waiting for next refresh
    • = a request has been sent, waiting for server response
    • = idle, updates have stopped
    • = error
  3. Update frequency (Updates every x seconds) has been removed entirely.
  4. Chat session ends in mm:ss has been removed entirely.
  5. Pause on input has been removed entirely.
  6. Number of characters when typing is not been changed. In addition, when hitting the character limit, the submit button is hidden and surplus number of characters is displayed in red. For example the limit is 100, the input field has 114 characters, it displays -14.
  7. Multi-line text area has been reworked to always allow multi-line input. Two new options have been added:
    • An ACP option for the admin to set the max height of the textarea. Currently it is set to 70px on this board. The input field will show a vertical scrollbar once it reached that limit.
    • A user setting in the new quick menu in the navbar allows users to switch between enter and Ctrl+Center.
This is not in the least a final version. There's still lots of work to do. The new navbar menu still needs a lot optimization and needs to be tested with other styles. Cross-browser and mobile compatibility needs to be tested as well.

Keep the feedback and ideas coming. I think we're on the right track. :+1:

nou nou
Donor

Post by nou nou » 23 Apr 2018, 22:58

I'm liking the new mChat, though the status indication isn't quite clear enough. Perhaps instead of the vertical line there can be something clearer/larger?

Question - when status is , could there be a button to do a session refresh? I think right now the only way to un-idle it is to do a page refresh?

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 24 Apr 2018, 20:18

nou nou wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 22:58
I'm liking the new mChat, though the status indication isn't quite clear enough. Perhaps instead of the vertical line there can be something clearer/larger?
Yes, I totally agree. Another issue with the status indicator is that it isn't displayed for users who can't use mChat, i.e. guests. I'm still trying to come up with a solution that works in all situations, suggestions welcome.
nou nou wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 22:58
Question - when status is , could there be a button to do a session refresh? I think right now the only way to un-idle it is to do a page refresh?
Correct, a page refresh is the only way. I'm not seeing a session refresh useful enough to include it in mChat, but certainly there's a way this can be done in an add-on extension.

Thanks for the feedback. :beer:

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 01 May 2018, 16:42

Forget the colors, the status icons are back. :D I removed the colored bar next the submit button, and added the status icons again, but moved them to the header. The advantage now is that guests who can see but not use mChat also see the status. Let me know what you think! I've only made this change today and put it live here right away. Time will tell if there are any downsides to this.

By the way, as I have customized the CSS on this board, you might be interested in what it looks like in vanilla prosilver: in Firefox, open the Style Editor (Shift+F7), find kasimi.css in the list on the left and click on its eye icon. I'm sure Chrome and the other browsers have a similar feature to toggle a style sheet's visibility.

terry2
Donor

Post by terry2 » 01 May 2018, 23:02

I just opened your css file in chrome and deleted it.

For those that dont have a clue here she is.
Selection_038.png
Selection_038.png (259.02 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Selection_038.png
Selection_038.png (259.02 KiB) Viewed 195 times