Some feature requests

Support area for phpBB's mChat extension
BanterFace
Donor

Some feature requests

Post by BanterFace » 23 Jun 2018, 17:07

Quotes:
• Jump to quote's origin-message by click.
• Don't get quotes from quoted message (to avoid terrifying ladders and save disk space).

Other:
• Autoresize input\textarea by Y (now is only X-autoresize).
• Search (everywhere and in specified channels).
• Able to change just some of user settings, keeping the rest unchanged (I mean keeping the user's choise). Now we can change all of them or nothing.

BanterFace
Donor

Re: Some feature requests

Post by BanterFace » 30 Jun 2018, 19:38

Notifications:
• Make not so annoying tab's title notification, for example, [12] %Page_name% (not in round bracets cause they uses by phpBB notifs)(now title is blinking with "New chat message!", that distracting and annoying).
• Fix bug with sound notify of new message, that plays many times per one new message if you're have more than one tab with mChat (6 tabs – 6 times, it becames actual if you're using addon to insert mchat in threads and forums; i do).
• Make difference between just-a-new-message and new-message-with-your-nickname, and show it (for examle, '[72/8]' in tab's name will means '72 new messages and 8 of them with your nickname').

terry2
Donor

Post by terry2 » 30 Jun 2018, 19:47

Sounds like you need to dump mchat and move to an online payed tool :lol:

I think your find Kasimi whant to drop some code not add more :lol:

BanterFace
Donor

Post by BanterFace » 30 Jun 2018, 20:05

Well, while I just suggest something and not demand from kasimi that features – I feel myself free.
It's just ideas...

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 01 Jul 2018, 13:28

Thanks for your ideas, they are always welcome. :+1:

BanterFace wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 17:07
Jump to quote's origin-message by click.
Yes, that's something I have on the todo list too, although I had in mind to make it load the message in the archive, because the quoted message might not be on the live page. Maybe the best solution is a combination of both: jump to message if it's on the live page, otherwise load the archive.
BanterFace wrote:
Don't get quotes from quoted message (to avoid terrifying ladders and save disk space).
That would be the job of another extension, plus there's also a setting in phpBB: ACP, Post settings, Maximum nesting depth for quotes. This setting also applies to quotes in mChat.
BanterFace wrote:
Autoresize input\textarea by Y (now is only X-autoresize).
This is already implemented in the upcoming version 2.1.0. The horizontal auto-resize has been removed entirely, and users can configure their mChat to automatically grow vertically. You can test this feature on this board. :+1:
BanterFace wrote:
Search (everywhere and in specified channels).
This is a huge feature and, although nice to have, unlikely to be implemented by me anytime soon.
BanterFace wrote:
Able to change just some of user settings, keeping the rest unchanged
Also a great idea. I can't say how difficult the implementation would be. I'll look into it.
BanterFace wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 19:38
Make not so annoying tab's title notification, for example, [12] %Page_name% (not in round bracets cause they uses by phpBB notifs)(now title is blinking with "New chat message!", that distracting and annoying).
I agree that the flashing message is too much and should be replaced with something more subtle. Don't you think using square brackets could be confusing? Especially when you have unread notifications as well as mChat messages: (2) [12] Index page. Adding to that your suggestion to display the number of messages you are mentioned in: (2) [12/7] Index page. :? If done that way, it would have to be explained what these numbers mean somewhere.
BanterFace wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 19:38
Fix bug with sound notify of new message, that plays many times per one new message if you're have more than one tab with mChat
Yes, this bug should be fixed, but it's more complicated than it seems.

Added in 2 minutes 59 seconds:
terry2 wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 19:47
I think your find Kasimi whant to drop some code not add more :lol:
Code of antiquated features or features that belong in a separate extension, yes.
terry2 wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 19:47
Sounds like you need to dump mchat and move to an online payed tool :lol:
I'm gladly developing paid custom features for anyone's board. You know where the PM button is. :D

BanterFace
Donor

Post by BanterFace » 02 Jul 2018, 15:26

Maybe the best solution is a combination of both: jump to message if it's on the live page, otherwise load the archive.
And variant for infinite scroll: load claster of messages (for example, 20 + target-message + 20) and jump.
Don't you think using square brackets could be confusing?
Alternate solution is make Favicon Notifications (for example, #f005 if you weren't mentioned and #f00f if so).
If done that way, it would have to be explained what these numbers mean somewhere.
I think the best way is
1. Show explanation when situation will be (to avoid wasting time of users who will never face that case and to avoid bad memory (user can forgt the explanation before case will appears)). Remember, we have 3 things to say (exp for usually mchat alert, for mchat-nickname alert, for mchat and phpBB neighborhood) but 4 situations to say something (mchat alert, mchat-nickname alert, mchat and phpBB alerts neighborhood, mchat + mchat-nickname and phpBB alerts neighborhood)
2. Explanation message should be temporary and appears on any site's part organically, so I suggest something like this, i.e. popup message.

Added in 53 minutes 33 seconds:
And one new suggestion: new user as an event (that can create message about).

BanterFace
Donor

Post by BanterFace » 24 Jul 2018, 16:11

Some of my users facing decline of productivity (lags...) when they don't close tab with chat (=almost every page of site) for a long time and when they use infinite scroll to go in old times. Maybe, setting "show only ... messages at one time" will helps them (if large numbers of messages weights the system)?

BanterFace
Donor

Post by BanterFace » 10 Aug 2018, 13:12

Increase chars-maximum from 1000 to much larger numbers (10000-50000).

BanterFace
Donor

Post by BanterFace » 13 Aug 2018, 15:59

Message when new user registered (like notify of new posts\logins\etc).

jan_2017
Distinguished Donor

Post by jan_2017 » 13 Aug 2018, 22:33

BanterFace wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 13:12
Increase chars-maximum from 1000 to much larger numbers (10000-50000).
Is hard coded in the php Files.

I have set 20.000 posts in archive.

Bye Jan