mChat and post errors

Support area for phpBB's mChat extension
Twister

mChat and post errors

Post by Twister » 11 Aug 2018, 14:51

Hello,

I have a problem in Firefox but not in Google Chrome:

when using smilies or attachements in a post these are shown in textfield of mChat but not in the post.
What did I wrong?

kasimi
mChat developer

Re: mChat and post errors

Post by kasimi » 11 Aug 2018, 15:01

Hi Twister,

first of all, mChat doesn't support attachments. You can't attach files to mChat message like you can to forum posts.

For the smilies issue, what phpBB version and what style are you using? Please post a link to your board where this is happening, or send me a PM if you prefer, and a test account if one is needed to reproduce the issue. :+1:

Twister

Post by Twister » 11 Aug 2018, 15:21

I think I have wrong expressed myself

a wanted the attachement in the forums post but the text was shown in mChat

I send you PM

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 11 Aug 2018, 15:43

I got your PM and now I understand what the problem is: you're displaying mChat on every page of your board, including the posting page. In Firefox, when clicking on a smiley for a post, it is added to the mChat input field. In Chrome it is the opposite: when clicking on a smiley for mChat, it is added to the post message field.

I'm aware of this problem, it's a limitation by core phpBB and is therefore happening on every board and not just yours. This is also the reason why it's impossible to use two chat extensions at the same time. Basically, phpBB allows only one text field at a time to receive smilies and BBCodes. I will have another look at it but I don't think prosilver has been fixed in that regard, and I don't think it ever will be.

For now the only solution is to either live with it, or to not display mChat on a page where there's already a text field (posting a message, composing a PM, editing the signature etc).

Twister

Post by Twister » 11 Aug 2018, 15:50

Thank you very much for your quick help

Markus
Donor

Post by Markus » 24 Sep 2018, 13:19

Have the same problem. Can you please fix that with your new version?

And please that you can set in the ACP that the Mchat can be seen on all sides.

Without the need to change any files.

Thank you very much.

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 26 Sep 2018, 09:06

Markus wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 13:19
Have the same problem. Can you please fix that with your new version?
Please carefully read the 2nd paragraph of my previous post again. This problem can't be fixed in mChat. It's a problem in prosilver, and fixing it is a complicated task that I don't have time for.
Markus wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 13:19
And please that you can set in the ACP that the Mchat can be seen on all sides.
Sorry but I can't add this feature to mChat because every user wants to display mChat on different pages and on different locations on the page and under different conditions. Adding options to please everyone will overload mChat.

Markus
Donor

Post by Markus » 26 Sep 2018, 10:54

There is no problem in the ACP in the mchat settings to make an option where the Mchat is to be displayed everywhere.

That should not be a problem for you as a programmer, is it?

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/180926/u9mepznh.png

terry2
Donor

Post by terry2 » 27 Sep 2018, 11:49

I agree with kasimi the switch in acp is easy but the code needed to show every where to pls all will be way to much.

Yes other chats have that option but there simple chats and not many use them due to other problems with them chats.

There are mchat addons that will make it show on 99% of the pages with out doing any edits example mchat sticky footer for starters.

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 28 Sep 2018, 11:34

To add to what terry2 said: most users what to control where mChat is displayed themselves, so if I added an option to the ACP, there will be requests for moving the option to the UCP. Storing this option for each user individually is possible of course, but again makes it more complicated, see the Sticky Footer add-on which is far from being a trivial extension.

I think the instructions in the [HowTo] Add mChat on any page of your board are easy to follow, applied in under a minute and can be customized to each admin's needs. If you need any further help with that, feel free to make a post over there. :+1: