feature request: consecutive message flood prevention

Support area for phpBB's mChat extension
popehentai

feature request: consecutive message flood prevention

Post by popehentai » 07 Mar 2019, 15:34

I'm really enjoying having Mchat on my forum, it gives my users a great way to keep up with a lot of minutiae and such... i just have the issue that a couple of users seem to like to talk to themselves and spam the chat with nonsense when no other users are around. I see there is a mean to prevent flooding by time, i.e. i can set a delay in how often someone can post, but do not see anything to stop someone from consecutively posting within those time constraints. is there any feature i might be missing, or is this something that could be easily implemented?

Basically i'm just tired of looking at my Mchat archives and seeing that one user has been spamming nonsense every few minutes for several hours while the other users are asleep or away.

Painkiller88
Donor

Re: feature request: consecutive message flood prevention

Post by Painkiller88 » 07 Mar 2019, 20:22

Hi, as i am no php hero i just can give ideas ;)

U could simply warn/ban this users (if u want) or kasimi could implement something that if 3x the same user posts in chat, it is ignoring every new message till another user posts something.

This will solve ur problem but may produce new problems if someone is writing a really long text and u just allow 300 chars and his message will need more than 3 posts (eg. explaining a problem in chat or something) but it would solve ur problem :)

popehentai

Post by popehentai » 07 Mar 2019, 22:00

Warning the user hasnt done much good, and its not TECHNICALLY against the rules...

i've sort of figured that 5 or 6 consecutive messages with no response, or some selectable number, with an automatic burn time afterwards, would be helpful. I know similar things exist for the FORUM but on my forum this issues seems to only come up in the chat. I don't know if other forum admins or mchat users have this same issue though. I think my post limit is somewhere around 500chars.... its not the amount of text thats the issue, were talking 40 consecutive chat posts of things like "k bye"/ i'm bored"/ "random fact"/ "image"/ "image"/ "bunch of derp" over the course of several hours.... almost every day. They literally just type nonsense into the chat for hours while no ones around.

Painkiller88
Donor

Post by Painkiller88 » 08 Mar 2019, 07:32

this is not an issue for me. But as YOU are the admin YOU made the rules, and i know a view forums, they don't tolerate spam.

But as mentioned above adding some check that don't lets the same user post more than 3 times without another user to post something in chat, will block this user from sending new messages till another user wrote something in the chat. problem solved, no spam possible anymore ;)

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 09 Mar 2019, 17:14

While I think that making your users aware of your chat rules and stripping the Can use mChat permission from anyone not following them is the better way to go, adding this option is rather easy and so it will be available in the next mChat update. :+1:

popehentai

Post by popehentai » 11 Mar 2019, 14:55

kasimi wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 17:14
While I think that making your users aware of your chat rules and stripping the Can use mChat permission from anyone not following them is the better way to go, adding this option is rather easy and so it will be available in the next mChat update. :+1:
Uneven and biased application of rules is why quite a few of my users have sorta been stuck dealing with my forum. I'd rather the few rules be enforced in an automated manner so as to eliminate accusations of judgement bias on my part. If i say "no more than 6 messages in a row" and then someone posts 8 relevant and useful messages and i DON'T say anything, i'm the bad guy. if i automate it so it happens to anyone regardless of content, its not my fault and i get plausible deniability. :)

Thank you for the consideration!