Feature discussion

Chat rooms for mChat with optional password protection and 1-on-1 chats
kasimi
mChat developer

Feature discussion

Post by kasimi » 14 Oct 2016, 15:52

The mChat Rooms addon extension is still in an early development stage. There is no code to test yet. At the the moment it is planned to release this extension for Donors only.

These are the features that I'm currently working on and that are planned to be added:
  1. A convenient way to add new rooms, edit room names and delete rooms and all their messages.
  2. A possibility for users to enter and leave rooms so that they can decide for which rooms they get notified of new messages.
  3. Mute/unmute rooms: there is no sound/flashing title when new messages arrive in muted rooms.
  4. Password-protected rooms: only users who know the password can enter these rooms. The password can be shared via PM, for example.
  5. Full integration with mChat's archive page: users can select from a dropdown menu which room's archived messages they want to see.
  6. Lots of permissions so that administrators can define what users are allowed to do:
    • can see rooms
    • can create new rooms
    • can edit own rooms
    • can edit any room
    • can delete own rooms
    • can delete any room
    • can see/create/edit/delete password-protected rooms
    • can enter/edit/delete password-protected rooms without providing the password
  7. Invite users to join a room by sending a notification
If you have any comments or wishes what should be implement feel free to share your ideas here. :)

Tarantino
Distinguished Donor

Re: Development discussion

Post by Tarantino » 27 Oct 2016, 11:44

What about the ability of invite someone to their room?
Similar to Skype when we create a group conversation.
We could select the username maybe through an autosuggest username.

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 27 Oct 2016, 11:52

Good idea with the invitation. This could be done by sending notifications to users. I have added it to the list in the first post.

I'm not sure about username suggestion, as that sounds like a complicated and not really related feature.

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 13 Nov 2016, 21:16

I've been putting some time into the Rooms add-on lately. Permissions are almost done, the ACP module still needs a lot of work. I don't think it's stable enough yet for public testing, but progress is being made. 8-)

Tarantino wrote:What about the ability of invite someone to their room?
Regarding inviting other users: I haven't decided if phpBB's notification system can/should be used for this but it will be then it will have to wait for the final phpBB 3.2.x to be released before I start to look into this. The notification system has changed in 3.2.x and I don't think it's worth investing the time to get it running for 3.1.x.

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 16 Nov 2016, 21:22

So far there's only one ACP setting for this extension which is why I decided to ditch the ACP module and instead display it on mChat's Global Settings page.

The ACP setting I'm talking about is Maximum number of rooms. If the administrator allows regular users to create rooms I think it's necessary to have a limit so that users can't flood the rooms list.

If anyone has ideas what other options could be useful feel free to share. :+1:

dsaf

Post by dsaf » 16 Nov 2016, 22:14

Looking forward to a test version of this! Would work well for me as a normal room and a room for admin/mods.

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 18 Nov 2016, 11:10

dsaf wrote:Would work well for me as a normal room and a room for admin/mods.
Yes this will be possible. You will be able to give only admins and moderators the Can see mChat rooms permission. Normal users won't even know that there are other rooms for staff, for them it will look like regular mChat. Furthermore you can create separate rooms for admins and moderators and set a password for the admin room so that moderators can't enter it. :+1:

It will take a lot of testing until it can be used in a production environment though. The more testers and the more feedback the sooner it will be in a stable condition. Currently I'm working on some weird display issues, after that the mChat archive needs some attention so that users are able to see archived messages of all the rooms. Without complications on the way I think the first test version will be ready early to mid December.

dsaf

Post by dsaf » 19 Nov 2016, 09:55

Looking forward to it..

dsaf

Post by dsaf » 03 Dec 2016, 23:11

Any further updates on this?

FranckTH
Distinguished Donor

Post by FranckTH » 21 Dec 2016, 21:53

I hope to test on New Year 2017 :) that's the best add on for mchat ;)
Flash & HTML5 Games for the Best Arcade