Google chrome issue after upgrading to 3.3

Support area for phpBB's mChat extension
terry2

Re: Google chrome issue after upgrading to 3.3

Post by terry2 »

True a few have now updated there java win 7 and 8 users and can now use mchat.
java.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi »

What's the version you updated to?
Keeno

Post by Keeno »

I just wanted to add that most are on mobile, is our possible to update java on a mobile device. I can ask the desktop users to have a go at updating but I myself on win 10 with everything up to date am still having this issue and also on mobile which is up to date, both on chrome.
terry2

Post by terry2 »

kasimi wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 09:27 What's the version you updated to?
This is not a phpbb or mchat issue its an out dated browser issue chrome has made some major changes.

My self i'm a linux user so java is done via the browser (i have no issues) board is 3.3 with mchat 2.1.3 php 7.3

From my testings its win 7 win 8 and some of the older mobiles on phpbb 3.3 only when i was 3.2.8 no issues moved to 3.3 now some have issues.

99% of the times issues are user issues who dont want to update there junk to suit modern times.
Keeno

Post by Keeno »

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in reply I wanted to test this. Everyone that's having the issue is having it in chrome that ip to date on mobile and desktop. Its effecting at least 6 members we know of and their cpu's are going mad on their devices, battery use is being drained on mobiles. 2 of these members know technical side of things, custom built PCs, all up to date. If it were a rarely used browser it wouldnt be such a issue, but chrome is used by many.

I totally get it may look like a user issue but its effecting different devices, laptops, desktops. It's making the site almost unusable for some.
terry2

Post by terry2 »

My users have now updated there java and all good no complaints any more.
Bgagger
Donor

Post by Bgagger »

We have come across the same issue after updating to phpBB 3.3.0, some users have started reporting in the problem. It effects my computer as well with Windows 10, fully updated Chrome and cleared the cache, issue remains.
The whole browser tab locks up and stops responding. After a while there is a timeout error from chrome asking if you want to wait for the page to respond or close. Waiting does nothing.
I have no Java installed. So no Java to update.
Tried disabling all Chrome extensions, issue remains.
Tried both re-set and cleanup in chrome settings. No change. Have not tried a full re-install though.

It appears to trigger by sending a message. Sometimes a first message can be sent, but mostly it locks when sending the first message, that does not appear in the flow. Opening rooms etc and scrolling around works fine. Even deleting messages and editing messages works as normal.
The last message sent before it locks up is visible to other users logged in however. So it does appear to send before the problem kicks in.

It is behaving very, very strangely in Chrome. I can not open dev tools while the page is locked. BUT, if I close the page, open chromes dev tools, then re-login to the forum, enter chat and... then it works just fine. No errors whatsoever. If I close dev tools though that messes up the session and I have to re-login. And that takes us back to square one.

Same problem on Android 9 with Chrome.
Tried updating the app, but the issue remains.

Curiously the same problem seems to effect the Opera browser (on Windows) as well, one user has reported this and I can confirm the same issue. I can send one message, then the whole tab locks up.
I suspect it might be a Chromium issue.

When testing, both Firefox and Edge seems to work just fine.

Added in 30 minutes 45 seconds:
Have now tried installing Java as well (version 8, update 241). No change, issue remains.

Added in 11 minutes 10 seconds:
Huh. curiously after a system re-boot, it now appears to be working!
Which of the above steps fixed the issue remains uncertain, but seems likely it was installing/updating Java that did something.

Opera however still does not work, despite updating the browser as well.
Bgagger
Donor

Post by Bgagger »

The same problem has been reported on iOS 12 using both Safari and Chrome browsers.
I don't know of any working solution for them, since any Java that may or may not be used by iOS can not be controlled by regular users.
Can anyone confirm if Firefox for iOS works with mChat and phpBB 3.3.0 ?
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/mobile/
kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi »

I uninstalled Java but still can't reproduce the issue. Testing with Chrome 80.0.3987.87 32-bit on Windows 10 64-bit, no freezes.

Added in 13 minutes 23 seconds:
Opera 66.0.3515.95 also working fine for me.
Bgagger
Donor

Post by Bgagger »

Our user reports are inconsistent, but it is confirmed the error is happening on other mchat installs as well, not just for us. But only after upgrading to phpBB 3.3.0

For me the only browser that is not working now is Opera (neither on Win 10 (66.0.3515.95), nor android). I don't have any add-ons on either version.
So far only one user is having issues with Firefox. It seems to occur most frequently in Chrome.

For some users it is working on iOS 13, but not iOS 12 (though firefox works there).

When testing on our dev site, it is locking up for users even with all mchat addons turned off. So it does not appear to be directly linked to any specific sub-extensions, but with core mChat itself.