Room permissions

Chat rooms for mChat with optional password protection
Paula Joann
Donor

Room permissions

Post by Paula Joann » 05 Apr 2018, 18:46

I have logged in as the Admin and as a Global Mod with full privilege, gone to the ACP Permission tab and there is nothing for the Chat Room add-on. I also checked using MCP and nothing. Where is it hidden?
phpBB 3.2
mChat 2.0.3
mChat Rooms add-on 1.1.5

Paula

kasimi
mChat developer

Re: [1.1.5] mChat Rooms add-on

Post by kasimi » 05 Apr 2018, 18:51

Hi Paula,

the permissions for the Rooms extension are right next to the ones for mChat, in a separate tab: go to your ACP's Permissions tab and select a user, group or role. You should see 3 tabs for mChat permissions: mChat | mChat in UCP | mChat Rooms

Paula Joann
Donor

Post by Paula Joann » 05 Apr 2018, 19:22

Got it thank you

Added in 52 minutes 38 seconds:
I can't set the admin permissions as there is a link to mchat but not mchat add-on and I need to Admin as well as Global Moderators to be able to delete and edit chat rooms. Is there a way to do that or am I missing something?

Paula

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 05 Apr 2018, 20:34

I'm not sure what you mean by there is a link to mchat but not mchat add-on. The Rooms add-on doesn't have admin permissions, it's all done with user permissions.

In the Permissions tab, go to Group permissions and select the group you want to give edit and delete permissions to. Make sure that the type User permissions is selected at the top. The preferred way of managing permissions in phpBB is using permission roles. The role that is assigned to the group you're editing is selected there. If there is no role assigned, click on Advanced permissions on the right. All the permission categories for that group should pop up, including the three mChat permission tabs, and you can go ahead and edit them. If there is a permission role assigned, don't change anything on this page, and instead click on User roles in the menu on the left and edit the role. You have the same three mChat permission tabs there too.

I hope this helps. :+1:

Paula Joann
Donor

Post by Paula Joann » 05 Apr 2018, 20:41

Thanks, I do appreciate your fast response.

Paula

Added in 41 minutes 10 seconds:
Kasimi

What I have is following

ACP/Permission/Global Permission/Group Permission
Setting Permission
Type Administrative
Role Full Admin
Tabs Everything + mChat (no mChat rooms tab)

Setting Permission
Type Global Moderator Permissions
Role Full Moderator
Tabs Post Actions, Misc, Topic Actions

Setting Permission
Type User Permission
Role Standerd Procedures
Tabs Everything + mChat + mChat in UCP + mChat Rooms

Paula

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 05 Apr 2018, 21:52

It's the last block you want to edit, the type User Permission.

Are you saying the group you want to give Room permissions has the Standard Features role assigned? If that's the case, don't edit the role, as it most likely is assigned to other groups too, so you would be giving Room permissions to users who aren't supposed to have them.

If you want all users in the Administrators and Global Moderators group to have edit & delete Room permissions, you can edit the All features user permission role (ACP, Permissions, Permission rules, User roles), which by default is assigned only to those two groups. You should check which groups this role is assigned to on your board by going to User roles and clicking on View assigned items next to the All features role. If the groups that show up at the bottom are those you want to give Room permissions, you can go ahead and edit that role. If the role is assigned to other groups, creating a new group is the best way to go in my opinion:

Create a new group (ACP, Users and groups, Manage groups) and call it for example mChat Room Moderators. Create a new user permission role (ACP, Permissions, Permission rules, User roles, Create role at the bottom) and leave all permissions of that role set to No, except for the edit & delete permissions in the mChat Rooms tab which you want to set to Yes. Go to the group permissions (ACP, Permissions, Global permissions, Group permissions), select your new group, make sure the type User permissions is selected and choose the newly created permission role from the dropdown and apply. Now, all the users you add to your new group will have those Room permissions.

Paula Joann
Donor

Post by Paula Joann » 05 Apr 2018, 22:41

The first one is the Admin, the Second is Global mods and the last are standard users they are to have very limited privilege. Sorry about my newness to all this as this is my first phpBB board, I have mostly used SMF boards.

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 06 Apr 2018, 09:06

kasimi wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 21:52
You should check which groups this role is assigned to on your board by going to User roles and clicking on View assigned items next to the All features role.
What users and groups are listed there?

(I moved our posts to a new topic.)

Paula Joann
Donor

Re: Room permissions

Post by Paula Joann » 06 Apr 2018, 23:47

In order as posted

Administrator
Global Moderator
User

I am betting it is something simple I am not doing or something dumb I have done.

Paula

kasimi
mChat developer

Re: Room permissions

Post by kasimi » 07 Apr 2018, 18:26

In that case I'd recommend creating a new group for your mChat Room moderators. See the last paragraph in my previous post how to do that, and keep in mind that it needs manual adding and removing of users, i.e. existing moderators and admins won't be able to edit delete rooms unless you add them to that new group.
Paula Joann wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 23:47
I am betting it is something simple I am not doing or something dumb I have done.
You're not doing anything wrong, just need to decide how to organize your permissions as there are many different ways. :+1: