Feature request, more noticable invites.

Chat rooms for mChat with optional password protection and 1-on-1 chats
Bgagger
Donor

Feature request, more noticable invites.

Post by Bgagger » 17 Feb 2019, 20:36

The main gripe my members have with mChat atm is the sort of roundabout way that room invites work.

You send an invite to someone, but the recipient as a rule don't notice, since the notifications list doesn't update dynamically. They have to leave the chat page to do something else on the forum to notice any new invitations.
Many members spend most of their time just hanging around the chatroom. Some barely post anything on the forum proper at all.

We also make extensive use of rooms for private conversations (managing the rooms limit and abandoned rooms not purging is another issue, but that can be manageable). The rooms addon was one of the main priority reasons we chose mChat as a chat client to begin with.
Our old chat client had a 'whisper' feature for sending private messages to another user, ie. that are not displayed in the public flow, only to the recipient. That is sorely missed by our users and they now rely on room invites to hold private conversations.

I understand that this is because notifications is a core phpBB feature, it is not meant to update dynamically the way mChat messages does.
But I am looking for some way of making invites more directly noticeable as they happen (instead of half an hour after the fact, as can be, and then the invite has expiered). Even just a color flash update on the notifications link or similar would be good. Just so they know they need to check their feed for room invites. Any kind of direct signal to make the recipient aware they have an invite.

If such a feature could be added, or if anyone has a suggestion for other notification extensions or solutions, I'd be happy to hear any thoughts.

Bgagger
Donor

Re: Feature request, more noticable invites.

Post by Bgagger » 18 Feb 2019, 15:32

I have found a solution that appears to be working nicely.

https://github.com/satanasov/activenotifications

And I see that Kasimi has helped develop it, you just pre-solved my problem :D

Bgagger
Donor

Post by Bgagger » 04 May 2019, 15:35

For anyone interested, I have discovered another nifty extension that can be combined with the above extension to great effect. To make notifications and room invites even more noticeable.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ew_notify/

terry2

Post by terry2 » 04 May 2019, 18:27

No need to add an ext for blink icons pure css can do it.

Code: Select all

- This code is only accessible to donors -
Added in 1 minute 9 seconds:
:lol: - This code is only accessible to donors - :lol: i posted it.

Bgagger
Donor

Post by Bgagger » 05 May 2019, 12:42

The Blinking counter extension I posted seems pretty straight forward, but with further testing it turns out there are some annoying bugs in it's implementation. So yeah it is indeed needlessly complicated.

I have ended up doing a simple css modification on our forum styles instead. Terry's code was very helpful, thanx :D
I found that a blinking animation with no tweening is more eye-catching though and narrowed it to only animate the notification badge, not all badges.

terry2

Post by terry2 » 05 May 2019, 23:32

Yeah change class to suit your needs.