Feature discussion

Chat rooms for mChat with optional password protection and 1-on-1 chats
BanterFace
Donor

Re: Feature discussion

Post by BanterFace » 30 Jun 2018, 19:24

Maybe categories of channels would be helpful feature for chats with many channels?

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 30 Jun 2018, 20:43

</Solidjeuh> wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 17:39
Maybe add an option to move messages to another room?
You're not the first to suggest this. There are many details to figure out which is why I haven't looked into implementing it so far. To mention two:
  1. In my opinion it would be extremely confusing if a message appears in a room to which the poster doesn't have access to. So I'm wondering, does the user whose message you move need to have permission to see the destination room? Or is he even required to have an active session in it?
  2. Where would the message be inserted? Chronologically? At the end, with a current time stamp? Again, both cases are likely to confuse others, depending on circumstances.
BanterFace wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 16:32
I assume you want this to happen with AJAX, without the user being moved having to refresh the page? I think it's possible but again, quite complicated to implement.
No, I meant just update mchat_rooms_sessions and mchat_rooms_users via gui.
Okay, so if you're fine with the user having to refresh the page to realize that he's been moved into a room, I might have a solution: a new permission which, when set to yes, you will see a new checkbox in the invite popup that when checked, will skip sending a notification and add the user(s) to the room right away. Is that what you're asking?
BanterFace wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 19:24
Maybe categories of channels would be helpful feature for chats with many channels?
By categories, do you mean basically a visual separation of the rooms? This can be done by sorting the rooms according to your needs (using the new sorting feature in the upcoming Rooms release) and some custom CSS that adds a separator line, for example. Is there anything else you would want to do with the categories?

terry2
Donor

Post by terry2 » 01 Jul 2018, 00:04

Moving messages from one room to another works well in cbb chat and it not confusing in any way at all i think your find its old cbb chat users requesting this option. if you want the files to try test i'm happy to send them you can install it with mchat is being used.

BanterFace
Donor

Post by BanterFace » 02 Jul 2018, 15:42

Is that what you're asking?
Not really:
1. Even if you're paste whole list of forum users (if you're have many users and can't use mysql, that can be difficult...) to input, new users will not force-invited.
2. Users can leave room just like other rooms.
Is there anything else you would want to do with the categories?
Just able to preset categories for new and existing users (without denying them to customize that).

Added in 35 minutes 28 seconds:
And some new suggestions:
Channels, moderated by they creators.
Able to define in which channel which notification will post (notifications about new post\topic\login\etc).

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 08 Jul 2018, 10:02

BanterFace wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:18
Users can leave room just like other rooms.
I really don't see why removing the ability to leave a room would be helpful. You still can't force the user to read the messages in the room because even though they might see there are unread messages in it, they could just ignore it and stay in a different room.

I probably haven't quite understood what you're asking.

Added in 49 minutes 23 seconds:
terry2 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 00:04
Moving messages from one room to another works well in cbb chat and it not confusing in any way at all
I looked at the code of cBB chat until I realized it was an old version that's missing the move message feature. :roll: Only took me a few minutes to find two critical security issues though. :?

As you seem familiar with cBB chat, can you tell me in what order a moved message is inserted into the new room? Everyone can of course suggest your own ideas of how it should happen, we don't want to create a cBB chat clone. :D

terry2
Donor

Post by terry2 » 08 Jul 2018, 13:00

I only tried it for 5 days found it to be badly written and a lot of issues i have latest files il pm them it does look nice and function well but under the hood it's not for me.

BanterFace
Donor

Post by BanterFace » 08 Jul 2018, 15:27

I really don't see why removing the ability to leave a room would be helpful. You still can't force the user to read the messages in the room because even though they might see there are unread messages in it, they could just ignore it and stay in a different room.
Imo that is affects to relation of user to channel "Hmm that is not yet-another-channel...". (Maybe this looks strange\authoritarianismic\motiveless but is that I meant and find relevant)

BanterFace
Donor

Post by BanterFace » 08 Jul 2018, 18:24

This can be done by sorting the rooms according to your needs (using the new sorting feature in the upcoming Rooms release) and some custom CSS that adds a separator line, for example. Is there anything else you would want to do with the categories?
Update for categories-suggestion:
Show sum of inner-chanels notifications in header of category
Able to minimize category just to header

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 09 Jul 2018, 15:18

BanterFace wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 15:27
Imo that is affects to relation of user to channel "Hmm that is not yet-another-channel...". (Maybe this looks strange\authoritarianismic\motiveless but is that I meant and find relevant)
I still don't understand. Users can ignore the red unread messages badge of a room just like the red notification badge of an invite notification. Whatever you're trying to tell your users, adding them to a room and not allowing them to leave won't help it.

kasimi
mChat developer

Post by kasimi » 13 Jul 2018, 19:07

BanterFace wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 17:08
Able to pin messages or to specifiy static message for each channel
I've made a post about it here: HowTo] Individual static messages for rooms